November 1, 2009

My Longest Training Run :)

First off, shout out to my new friend Ravi!  Not sure why I didn't buy a Garmin sooner, but I absolutely love it.  No more having to spend ridiculous amounts of time tediously mapping out my running routes on walkjogrun - just one reason why I'm in love.

This morning I woke up with a massive headache and slept until about noon - even with the daylight savings.  I'll admit, I was a little under the weather from two nights of Halloween mayhem.  Here's me wearing part of Pete's "sooper aqua dump" costume which he wore for the Superhero run with Jeff and e_rod.  I think I look more like a Chia pet than a sooper aqua dump, though.

I decided last night before I knew I was going to feel like death when I woke up, that I wanted to run 10 miles today.  Come 4pm, I still didn't feel the greatest, but after a few encouraging tweets telling me to get off my butt and run, I headed out.

The first couple miles I felt pretty tired and my head was still pounding, but I was enjoying the scenery as the outline of Catalina was perfectly clear again.  By mile 4 my quads were starting to kill, and continued to hurt an abnormal amount until I stopped to stretch at mile 7.  I think they're a little exhausted from all of the biking I've been doing. While I stretched I ate some Skittles.  Yep, Skittles.  Taking advantage of all the leftover Halloween candy.  Some foggy mist-like stuff had also started to develop towards the pier - looked pretty cool.

Now I'm not sure if it was the stretching or the magical Skittles I ate but when I started running again I felt amazing - at least not like I had ran 7 miles already.  Nothing hurt, at all.  I picked up the pace some and by mile 9 I was thinking "maybe I'll just try to run 13.1 miles and beat my half marathon PR!"  I was all about it, until it became totally dark out and I kept encountering some interesting (in a bad way) people.  Not to mention I almost got hit by a skateboarder.  Kids.

I ended up finishing my run at Pete's house so I could pick up his truck to use tomorrow.  Made it 10.5 miles - furthest I've ever ran outside of a race!  And, I felt like I could run at least another 5 miles - crazy.  Sooper happy I made myself start and finish this run :)

I realized at mile 2 that I could keep track of my mile splits.  I've always kind of wondered what my splits are like during a long run because I feel like I'm pretty inconsistent - not too bad tho:

Mile 2 - 9:29
Mile 3 - 9:21
Mile 4 - 9:16
Mile 5 - 9:29
Mile 6 - 9:30
Mile 7 - 9:20
Mile 8 - 9:14 Sooper Skittles start to kick in! :-P
Mile 9 - 9:07
Mile 10 - 9:15
Last 0.5 - 9:10
Avg. 9:21 - w00t!



 

2 comments:

  1. Getting out the door when you feel great is hard enough but when you're not feeling well it's almost impossible.

    GREAT job making it happen and you're pace was awesome.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job your longest run Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete